Email MeTerence L. Kindlon
Terence L. Kindlon has practiced as a criminal defense lawyer in New York's capital city since 1974. He began his career as an assistant public defender and entered private practice in the late 1970's. Over the years Terry has defended many people charged with serious crimes and has tried more than 175 felony cases to verdict. Additionally, he has maintained an extensive appellate practice.
Certified in capital defense, he has zealously represented a number of men facing the death penalty in both state and federal court. One of the founding members of at the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Terry has served as a lecturer for that group as well as for the Criminal Justice Section of the Criminal Justice Section of the New York State Bar Association.
Among the professional awards Terry has received are the New York State Defenders Association Service of Justice Award, the New York State Bar Association's David S. Michaels Memorial Award for Courageous Efforts in Promoting Integrity in the Criminal Justice System, the Thurgood Marshall Unity Award by the NAACP Oneonta Area Branch, the Disabled American Veterans Certificate of Appreciation for the DAV Vietnam Veterans Outreach Program and a Commendation from the Veterans Administration Vet Center for Legal Assistance.
Terry has received the Martindale Hubble AV rating (highest ratings for Legal Ability and General Ethical Standards) and has also been selected for inclusion in "New York Super Lawyers" for the past several years.
During the War in Vietnam Terry served in the United States Marine Corps. He was medically retired as Sergeant as a result of serious wounds received in combat in Quang Tri Province during the Tet Offensive of 1968. As a result of his actions, Terry received the Purple Heart medal and was awarded a bronze star with a combat "V" for valor.
Terry resides in the Capital District, flies a twin-engine Cessna 340 and is an active volunteer pilot with Angelflight NE.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Criminal Defense, trials and appeal in both state and federal court
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Albany Law School of Union University, Albany, New York
- J.D. - 1973
- Ithaca College, Ithaca, New York
- A.B.magna cum laude
- Major: History/Philosophy
- Numerous Op-Ed Pieces, Albany Times Union, Veterans Issues & Criminal Law
- Effective Criminal Defense, New York State Bar Association, 1990 - 2009
- Cross Examination of Expert Witnesses, NYS Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1995
Honors and Awards
- New York State Defenders Association Service of Justice Award, 1989
- New York State Bar Association's David S. Michaels Memorial Award Courageous Efforts in Promoting Integrity, 2004
- Martindale Hubble AV Rating (Highest Ratings for Legal Ability and General Ethical Standards)
- New York Super Lawyers
- Thurgood Marshall Unity Award by the NAACP Oneonta Area Branch
- Received the Purple Heart Medal
- Awarded a Bronze Star With a Combat "V" for Valor
- Combat in Quang Tri Province During the Tet Offensive, 1968
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Life Member
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- Lawyer - Pilots Bar Association
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Founding Member
Past Employment Positions
- Albany County Public Defender, Assistant Public Defender, 1974 - 1979
- United States Marine Corps
Pro Bono Activities
- Kane and Lekakis v. Marsolais (Albany City Clerk) New York State's "Gay Marriage Case", 2003 - 2006
- Numerous (successful) Challenges to Sex Offender Residency Laws, 2003 - 2013
- Active Volunteer Pilot With Angelflight NE