Albany Homicide Lawyers
Vigorous Defense against Homicide Charges in New York
While many people think that murder and homicide are one in the same, according to New York criminal laws, the two are substantially different. Homicide is a legal term that delineates one individual is responsible for another person’s death, and it covers a much broader range of charges than murder alone. In certain cases, such as when someone is acting in self-defense, the act of homicide is not illegal. The specific charges that one who is accused of committing homicide will face depends on their intent and the particular circumstances of the situation.
Degrees of Homicide in New York
Murder is a form of illegal homicide. If you have been accused of murder, the prosecution will attempt to prove that you both committed the crime and acted with malicious intent or criminal negligence.
In New York, homicide charges are divided into three distinct classifications, including:
- First-degree murder: homicide that is pre-meditated or committed with cruelty and aforethought
- Second-degree murder: homicide that is caused by dangerous conduct or actions
- Manslaughter: homicide that involves intentionally, yet spontaneously killing another person (voluntary manslaughter) or unintentionally killing someone an illegal or reckless act (involuntary manslaughter)
The Devastating Consequences of a Homicide Conviction
Those convicted for murder in New York will incur some of the most severe penalties imposed by criminal courts. Those facing charges for second-degree murder can face from 15 to 25 years in prison. If found guilty for first-degree murder, an individual could be sentenced to life in prison without parole, or 20 to 25 years in prison. Those who are sentenced to less than life imprisonment will likely face many challenges once they get out of confinement. For example, they may struggle to obtain employment or find a place to live, as well as lose the right to own a gun or vote.
Benefit from a Powerful Defense
When facing charges for homicide, it is crucial to work with an experienced legal team that knows how to present a compelling case on your behalf. This is especially true when you have been accused of murder. With the right legal advocate on your side, you can avoid the significant consequences that will result from a conviction.
When you work with The Kindlon Law Firm, PLLC, our Albany homicide lawyers can:
- Carefully investigate your case from every angle
- Examine and challenge any evidence the prosecution has against you
- Develop an effective strategy for getting your charges reduced or dropped
- Negotiate a pre-trial settlement if right for your case
- Petition the court for your release on bail
- Aggressively fight for your rights and freedom in court
If you are convicted for murder, we can:
- Present any factors that might reduce the penalties you face
- File an appeal with the appellate court
- Represent you during parole hearings
Over 100 Years of Combined Legal Experience
Complex & Aggressive Criminal Litigation
Our Approach Is Client-Focused
We Are Unwavering Fighters
Respected In The Legal Community
Free Initial Consultation